What you need:
- iron wires or wooden sticks
- 300 parts potassium chlorate
- 60 parts aluminum fines, flitter, or granules
- 2 parts charcoal
- 10% dextrin in water solution
- 500 parts strontium nitrate (optional, for red color)
- 60 parts barium nitrate (optional, for green color)
How to make aluminum powder: homescience
How to make potassium chlorate: “About.com:Potassium Chlorate Synthesis”
How to make dextrin:
- Mix the dry ingredients with enough dextrin solution to make a moist slurry. Include the strontium nitrate if you want a red sparkler or the barium nitrate if you want a green sparkler.
- Dip the wires or sticks in the sparkler mixture. Be sure to leave enough uncoated space at one end to safely grasp the finished sparkler.
- Allow the mixture to dry completely before igniting the sparkler.
- Store sparklers away from heat or flame, and protected from high humidity.